Join the EU federation representing the interests of mechanical, electrical & electronic industries.
Orgalime is the European federation representing the interests at the level of the EU institutions of the European mechanical, electrical, electronic and metal articles industries as a whole. Orgalime's member federations directly represent an industry employing over 10 million people.
The companies which are overwhelmingly small and medium-sized enterprises cover a broad industry cross-section in terms of product, market segment and geographical spread. They manufacture products covering an enormous spectrum – from pressure vessels to complex machines, from individual machines to complex systems used in all spheres of industrial and economic activity.
The engineering industry is the largest industrial branch in the EU, with a turnover of more than €1,900 billion. The industry accounts for over a quarter of manufacturing output, and a third of the manufactured exports of the European Union.
A secretariat, currently numbering 28, deals with the numerous policy issues facing the engineering industry, together with the committed support of specialists from Orgalime’s members and European sector committees.
Orgalime has been a highly influential trade association at the European level since its creation in 1954. According to a recent study, Orgalime was ranked as the most effective European trade association in the manufacturing sector and third overall.
Role of Orgalime’s Director General
The Director General (DG) is appointed by the General Assembly. The DG is responsible for operation of the association’s secretariat, and for the management of the association in accordance with the general guidelines given by the Chairman. The DG operates under the supervision of the Board of Directors.
The DG must drive Orgalime’s vision, which is to actively promote the development in Europe of the necessary competitive framework conditions under which engineering companies can flourish, provide growth and employment both today and in the long term as manufacturers in the EU, and to ensure that the trading conditions they face are fair, both in the EU and on export markets. More specifically Orgalime’s DG should:
- Articulate and promote a clear European vision for Orgalime and the sector
- Be a leader, rather than a manager
- Develop a strategic view on Orgalime’s priorities
- Stimulate, guide and advise the Board as appropriate
- Act as a trusted partner, internally and externally
- Inspire confidence among Orgalime’s members and stakeholders
- Be highly attuned to constant European political-social-economic change, and fast-moving business realities of engineering companies
- Help to set Orgalime’s agenda on EU policy-making
- Be informed of key EU policies early so that the membership can act and react appropriately
- Enhance further Orgalime’s position as the voice of manufacturing at a time when the industry is becoming increasingly digitalised
- Activate and mobilise Orgalime’s networks in Brussels and the Member States
- Stay attuned to national and European perspectives on EU policy-making
- Find EU and European opportunities to benefit the national members
- Help build member state networks to influence the EU
- Be proactive not reactive
- Know when to take risks judiciously
- Listen to, and meet members’ needs
- Remain sensitive to the differences between members’ sectors
Orgalime’s Board is looking for a highly strategic DG who:
- Collates a unique strategic vision for Orgalime
- Takes the initiative, and gives European direction and a sense of urgency to Orgalime’s policy priorities
- Understands the big picture and is forward-looking, mindful of the engineering sector’s big industrial drivers
- Ensures Orgalime’s capability to implement agreed strategies
- Enables others in the secretariat and membership to succeed
- Challenges assumptions, “brings the outside in” and “explains the why”
In addition, the successful candidate will possess personality traits, knowledge and skills associated with great association leaders, including the following:
Desirable Personality Traits:
- Motivational and inspirational
- Trustworthy with integrity
- Opinionated in a consistent fashion
- Sensitive with a degree of humility and self-deprecation
- Strong externally
- Culturally aware and open
Required Knowledge for the successful candidate:
- EU expert and great lobbyist
- Knowledge of manufacturing and related issues
- Understands technology and is digitally-savvy
- Fluent English, with other major European languages ideally including French and German
- University educated
- Minimum of 15 – 20 years relevant (and ideally multidisciplinary) work experience
- Experience of managing people and business acumen
Required DG Skills:
- Skilled professional who can reinforce the professionalism of Orgalime’s secretariat
- Good public speaker, able to engage and influence an audience
- Competent manager who can lead a 28-person secretariat and manage the association on a sound business footing
- Capable of maintaining a balanced perspective and independence
- Ability to distil and communicate complex thoughts, in a clear manner
- Although exposure to engineering and the manufacturing sector would be very beneficial, it is not essential i.e. Orgalime is open to recruit from outside the industry