Expanded role providing a critical link between Chamber business communities and policy-makers
The 53 Accredited Chambers which make up the British Chambers of Commerce’s (BCC) UK network are trusted champions of businesses, places, and global trade. Together, they represent tens of thousands of businesses of all shapes and sizes, which employ almost six million people across the UK.
BCC also has a powerful international Network with over 70 British Chambers of Commerce and business groups located in every continent of the world and directly linked to UK-based Chambers of Commerce.
BCC’s network exists to support and connect companies, bringing together firms to build new relationships, share best practice, foster new opportunities and provide practical support to help member businesses trade locally, nationally and globally
This exciting, newly expanded role, in a fast-paced environment, provides a critical link between Chamber business communities and policy-makers across Westminster and Whitehall at a historic juncture for the UK. An experienced policy expert, you will provide both speedy reactive and in-depth proactive analysis of a wide range of business challenges across the UK working with an established team of policy experts within the BCC, and with a network of policy leads across the Accredited Chambers of Commerce.
- Direct BCC’s policy, research and economics functions and coordinates initiatives across 53 accredited Chambers of Commerce in the UK and another 70+ British Chambers and business groups worldwide
- Work closely with the Director of Campaigns to collectively develop an integrated plan incorporating policy, research, public affairs, campaigns and communications activity.
- Act as a lead advocate and spokesperson for BCC across a range of policy issues representing BCC at Chamber events, in the media, parliamentary committees, senior stakeholder and ministerial meetings.
- Manage and develop the policy team to conduct reasoned analysis on a wide range of topics as well as acting as lead policy analyst on issues including NetZero, skills, trade and infrastructure. This would include writing and ensuring delivery of reports at publication standard.
- Ensure the team deliver high quality written and oral briefings across the business ahead of stakeholder meetings and events including ability to brief the Director General, President/Chair, other senior leaders on complex issues.
Key skills and experience required
- Proven management skills of leading and motivating both core and cross organisational project teams and in matrix structures
- Deep understanding of issues facing UK businesses and ability to quickly develop understanding of new policy areas
- Ability to quickly assimilate complex information and provide analysis to inform reactive communications
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills and ability to adapt style to a range of audiences
- (Desirable) Experience working with or in a membership or network environment
For more information, or to apply for the Director of Policy and Public Affairs position, please forward a copy of your CV by clicking on the 'Apply' button quoting the reference number AZ-2111-8045.