Leading national charity seeking capable campaigns communications specialist
Want to work at the heart of a campaigning, humanitarian charity that is often in the national news, tackling needless disasters and the climate emergency? Are you expert at weaving powerful stories containing evidenced news hooks, quotes from influential people, and innovative launch concepts that demand media coverage on Breakfast TV? Are you ready to dial up national journalists and persuade them to run stories, and ready to jump at reactive opportunities? Are you equally passionate about ensuring a cause can be understood clearly and quickly across all its digital channels, so people can take action and become supporters?
We are partnering with Brake, the national charity campaigning for safe and sustainable use of roads and delivering the National Road Victim Service, caring for thousands of bereaved and catastrophically injured road victims. This opportunity will enable you to frame and work on national, impactful, campaigns that prevent a leading cause of violent deaths, injuries, and climate destruction, and that ensure road victims’ voices are heard.
Who you are
You are an ethical, articulate campaigns professional, with a successful background in a campaigning organisation, or as a campaigning journalist, or both. You have a thirst for knowledge. You ask insightful questions, build relationships, and deliver accurate, impactful communications that can hit the headlines. You react fast but robustly, and plan stories with care and creativity that galvanise people into making a difference. You have a reputation for fact checking and conveying campaigns and policies accurately and persuasively. You are an efficient and engaging networker, enabling and energising voices from all quarters to be heard while also delivering a strong cohesive, organisational voice across all channels.
The role has responsibility for achieving impactful coverage across national, regional and specialist media and leading our supporter communications. Collaborating internally and externally with a range of stakeholders, you will:
- Plan and deliver proactive and targeted national, regional and specialist news stories, reflective of our strategic goals, campaigns, and plans of work engaging people and caring for victims.
- Respond fast to breaking news, accurately, ensuring Brake is the ‘go to’ commentator on topics related to our cause and work.
- Develop, and seek out constructive relationships, including with journalists and many other stakeholders who can partner with us to achieve Brake’s communications and storytelling, including road victims, emergency services, celebrities, MPs, and other campaigning organisations and corporate backers, as well as Government activities to promote road safety.
- Lead our Supporter Communications (across our websites, social media and e-comms) to enable people to hear our news, celebrate our successes, and get involved easily.
- Administer the media function across the team.
- Experience of campaigning, including story planning and delivery that is impactful and audience-tailored.
- Superb, high-end communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to evaluate complex topics, and to ask insightful questions to enhance your understanding.
- Curiosity and willingness to learn, seek and take feedback, and adapt to circumstance.
- A personality that is highly driven to make a difference and achieve the charity’s goals.
- Ability to balance multiple deadlines to time and committed to monitoring and evaluation of impact and management of data.
- A focus on diplomacy, partnership, reputational integrity and risk management. You work to enable collaboration and prevent libel, slander, inaccuracy and unsafe situations.
- Proficiency in all standard office IT systems including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Living within two hours of central London is advantageous to this role.
Please submit your CV and a covering letter to Joshua@ellwoodatfield.com by 21st January.