Lead a high performing association for an industry that has an immense impact on everyday life.
Lead a high performing team to deliver the strategic goals agreed with the Board including meeting the industry’s Net Zero challenge; responsible for growing the association’s membership, developing its vision and mission, and implementing its new plans.
The British Ceramic Confederation (BCC) is the trade body representing the collective interests of all sectors of the UK ceramics manufacturing industry. Based in Stoke-on-Trent, BCC is located within a city shaped by its production of pottery for centuries.
Ceramics touches every part of modern life. While the UK industry is well known for its iconic tableware and giftware this is just a small part of the sector. Ceramic materials (bricks, tiles, drainage pipes, sanitaryware) are used to build our homes; refractories are essential for all high temperature industrial processes; technical ceramics are used in computers, jet engines, mobile phones, medical equipment, sports cars and even space shuttles. Through continuous technological, scientific and innovative advances the ceramic manufacturing industry has an immense impact on everyday life.
As Chief Executive you will lead the British Ceramic Confederation in the provision of expert advice on industry matters and representation of member company interests. The purpose of this leadership role is to enhance the ceramic industry's reputation and influence with political, regulatory, and key industry stakeholders and to provide the right conditions to help members protect and grow their businesses.
Main responsibilities include to:
- Lead, maintain and continue to develop a high performing team by creating an environment with opportunities for BCC staff to excel in undertaking and growing their responsibilities.
- Oversee relations between the membership and the organisation; seek to ensure that existing members are retained, and potential new members targeted.
- Oversee the finances of the organisation ensuring that revenues are maintained sufficient to support the organisation’s activities.
- Ensure the issues that affect the ceramics industry are identified, prioritised, and dealt with in a timely manner; advise the Management Committee and members of potential opportunities and threats and work with them on the required response; develop new initiatives in support of the UK ceramics industry.
- Lead on and manage advocacy positions in the UK and EU on issues in co-ordination with members and provide realistic policy, legislative and regulatory advice to the Management Committee and membership.
- Engage and influence stakeholders on critical issues facing the ceramics industry to achieve favourable policy outcomes; be the BCC’s main spokesperson to Government, Civil Service, and the media.
Required skills, experience, and competencies include:
- Leadership – demonstrable experience of setting strategy, agreeing priorities, and delegating actions.
- Strategic thinking – ability to develop and execute a strategy with the awareness and understanding of market dynamics.
- Facilitation and negotiation – proven skills to operate at Board level with the ability to manage consensus and achieve effective decision-making.
- Advocacy – experience of successfully influencing the political and regulatory processes within Westminster, Whitehall, and ideally EU Institutions.
- Communication – exceptional and persuasive communicator experienced in being an impactful and inspirational speaker with gravitas and authority, tailoring messaging for different audiences.
- Management – good operational management capabilities including financial management and ability to build and develop a team.
This important association leadership role is an opportunity to become the voice of a high-tech and innovative industry.
How to apply:
For more information, please consult the job description and apply via the ‘Apply for this Position’ button or the form below. Please note that applications for this position will close on 29th October 2021.