Be the voice of businesses that are a crucial enabler of strategic supply chains for the UK.
The UK Major Ports Group (UKMPG) is the trade association for the UK's largest and most ambitious port operators. Formed in 1993, UKMPG represents nine of the top ten port operators in UK. 95% of the UK’s physical trade with the world arrives or departs by sea. UKMPG's members collectively handle 75% of the UK’s port volumes through 40 ports. Members already invest around £500 million per year in the UK’s ports and related infrastructure.
UKMPG continuously aspires to have a more powerful and influential voice in the development of government policy and regulation affecting the commercial environment for its members. The purpose of this role is to develop and implement a proactive, comprehensive and effective lobbying strategy that will support the policy and regulatory agendas affecting UKMPG members. The Chief Executive Officer will ensure UKMPG projects a clear and persuasive voice amongst its many stakeholders, allowing it to demonstrate relevance and influence on behalf of members with the objective of securing a more favourable trading environment for the UK’s largest ports.
Main responsibilities include:
- Raise the profile of the Port Industry with the wider UK business community, the media and associated industries.
- Work with the Board to identify policies to advance the interests of members.
- To assess the impact that proposed policies and legislation is likely to have on the commercial operation of UK ports represented by UKMPG.
- Engagement with Government (Ministers, Departments, Agencies and arms length bodies) and the media.
- Build and maintain constructive relationships with other civil society bodies such as but not limited to NGOs, think tanks and unions.
Required skills, experience, and competencies include:
- A track record of successfully influencing policy development with government departments.
- The ability to establish credibility with the UKMPG board and external stakeholders.
- Gravitas, and confidence to represent UKMPG externally at the highest levels of government and with media.
- Strong consensus building and active listening skills.
- An energetic and polished networker who can engage politicians and their department heads through developing new and effective relationships.
This important association leadership role is an opportunity to become the voice of businesses that are a crucial enabler of strategic supply chains for the UK.
How to apply:
For more information, please consult the detailed job description and apply via the ‘Apply for this Role’ button.