Lead the corporate affairs strategy to transform the way we buy and use energy.
Lead the company’s delivery of a high-quality corporate affairs strategy to ensure the maximum penetration of smart meters across the country by the development and implementation of evidenced policy positions and executional plans.
Smart Energy’s task is to engage everyone across the whole of Great Britain with the national rollout of smart meters. Every British home and microbusiness has the opportunity to upgrade to digital gas and electricity smart meters, utterly transforming the way we buy and use energy and paving the way to a smarter, more energy efficient future, which will be fundamental to Britain reaching its net zero carbon emissions goals.
One of the biggest technological and infrastructural investments of our time, the smart meter rollout has already converted around 50 per cent of British households and it is vital that consumers who are harder to reach or need greater support are not left behind.
The Director of Corporate Affairs is a newly created position and reports to the Chief Executive Officer. As a key member of the senior leadership team, you will perform a vital role in the national campaign to support the rollout of smart meters. You will lead the company’s delivery of a high-quality corporate affairs strategy to ensure the maximum penetration of smart meters across the country.
Main responsibilities include:
- Lead the Corporate Affairs team based in London, Edinburgh & Cardiff, providing positive leadership and strategic direction for its activity, and overseeing the quality of their delivery.
- Ensure the delivery of evidenced policy positions that support the maximum penetration of the roll out across the country, and to communicate them through the most effective channels to secure relevant support.
- Ensure the delivery of activity designed to build a strong reputation for smart meters across a variety of public affairs audiences.
- Work collaboratively across internal teams and with external stakeholders such as BEIS and energy suppliers.
- Report to the board on Corporate Affairs areas, including strategy direction, activity and budget.
Skills, experience, and competencies include:
- A rigorous analytical but creative thinker, that has experience of engaging in a technical subject, yet being able to communicate simply.
- Experience of working in government or collaboratively with government to creative active policy change.
- Able to operate at senior management level and able to communicate effectively at a senior level, including at a board level.
- Experience and/ understanding of the policy issues relating to the energy sector
- Appreciate the diversity of the people and communities of Great Britain and embrace this diversity in your approach to work.
The rollout of smart meters is the key to achieving the most efficient and reliable way of providing gas and electricity from renewable sources such as wind and solar power to homes across Great Britain. Therefore, the positive impact the successful candidate can have will be tangible and will afford them an outstanding career opportunity.
For more information, please consult the job description and apply via the Apply for this Role button. Please note that applications for this position will close at 9am on 9th September 2021.
Smart Energy GB is an equal opportunity employer and is tracks equal opportunity data to make its recruitment and selection practices as inclusive as possible. Please could you complete a short form by clicking here.