Provide strategic and operational leadership of the IoD’s policy and communications team.
The IoD is the UK’s longest-running organisation for professional leaders. It is dedicated to supporting members, encouraging entrepreneurial activity, and promoting responsible business practice for the benefit of the business community, and society as a whole.
IoD members are some of the most skilled and prominent leaders in the UK, from start-up entrepreneurs to FTSE board members, directors in the public sector and CEOs of multinational organisations.
“This is a critical time for the IoD to show leadership and direction and give guidance, support and help, to get our voice heard with government and lobby hard on behalf of business." Stephen Martin, Director General, IoD
Reporting to the Director General, this role will provide strategic and operational leadership of the IoD’s policy and
communications team, ensuring the most impact, profile, influence, and commercial benefit for the Institute.
As a member of the Executive Committee, this position will provide strategic insight and vision into the future issues in which the IoD should be engaging. With three direct reports and a team of 15 people, this role will develop and deliver the policy and communications strategy to support:
- Growth in membership
- Increased membership retention
- Growth in commercial performance
- Higher profile and influence of the Institute.
The position will be the IoD’s spokesperson for policy matters and other issues, as required. When required, this role will also deputise for the Director General for external advocacy.
Main responsibilities include:
- Increasing the voice and influence of the IoD on business issues through excellent, evidence-based policy development, advocacy and media engagement
- Providing strategic leadership for the development and delivery of policy positions and communications through multiple channels
- Leading a high performing team to deliver compelling content, thought-leadership, and a market leading member events portfolio and network, to attract new members nationally and internationally and retain existing members.
Required skills and experience include:
- Proven experience of leading a team in a policy and communications environment from either a political, business, governmental, think tank, media and/or public affairs environment
- Proven experience of developing and managing a high performing team of experienced individuals
- A strong track record of successful leadership skills applied in a thought-leadership environment
- Demonstrate a good track record of negotiating with and successfully dealing with the media
- Ability to explain economic concepts to non-expert audiences.