Common Seas to hire Head of External Affairs to lead external communications and engagement
Ellwood Atfield is delighted to be working with Common Seas to hire a Head of External Affairs to lead on building their brand and profile through strategic media relations, digital communications and government relations. This person will be an exceptional communications professional, with a content led approach and a strong understanding of how the news and political agenda’s intertwine and influence one another.
This is a crucial, hands-on role, and you will be responsible for developing and executing a comprehensive communication strategy. Common Seas want you to make sure their mission is in the hearts and minds of their audience and supporters. By raising the profile and connecting with key stakeholders, you will be helping charter a course to healthy oceans.
- Design and implement a comprehensive communications strategy to increase awareness and appreciation of Common Seas among senior government figures, thought-leaders and opinion formers, designers and innovators, scientists, funders, social-enterprise and business leaders
- Work with colleagues to develop and manage a timeline for the effective release of communication materials and timely responses to media enquiries
- Design, coordinate and implement appropriate and engaging social media content (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, Wikipedia)
- Generate positive media coverage of our mission, project work and partnerships
- Coordinate communications activities with our colleagues and partners globally, such as universities, governments, island councils and tourist resorts
Key skills and experience required
- Eight years of proven work experience across a broad range of traditional and digital communications and/or marketing outreach disciplines
- Experience drafting impactful communications content, including press releases, fact sheets, speeches and op-eds
- Strong storytelling ability, including design and use of visuals like images, graphics, and video to reach and engage target audiences
- Ability to work professionally and collegially within a creative and agile team that demands accuracy and dedication
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision. Able to routinely cope with multiple competing priorities and varying workload
For more information, or to apply for this position, please forward a copy of your CV by clicking on the 'Apply' button quoting the reference number JG-1907-6776