Common Seas seeks Head of Insights to lead policy analysis around plastics and waste management
Ellwood Atfield is delighted to be working with Common Seas to hire a Head of Insight to work closely with the Managing Director, and a wide range of internal stakeholders to provide technical policy analysis around plastics, waste management and the circular economy.
You will be tasked with further developing Plastic Drawdown, an already world leading modelling framework. You will have the opportunity to work with, and help develop a strong existing global network of governments to tackle ocean pollution. This will require a deep technical understanding of plastic production, consumption, circular economy and waste management systems, with experience of turning theory into practical on-the-ground action.
The Common Seas insights team provides research and technical knowledge across all our projects and communications. The two projects that will require most of your attention are:
- Clean Blue Alliance. With a vision of a global network of plastic waste-free islands, this project involves working with governments, councils, businesses and local changemakers to identify and accelerate policy and business solutions. The project currently operates in Greece, Maldives and Indonesia. The role will present opportunities to invest in systems to reduce or substitute plastic, enable a plastics circular economy, and optimise waste management.
- Plastic Drawdown, Common Seas policy analysis modelling framework, is the most comprehensive approach for governments to understand plastic waste flows and optimise policies to tackle ocean pollution. It includes a wedges methodology to support decision-makers to rapidly identify key plastic flows and make effective policy interventions to reduce or ‘drawdown’ the flow of ocean plastic pollution. It is currently being used to advise the Greek, UK and Maldives Governments and is central to our current work in rolling out plastic mitigation investments across a dozen Commonwealth countries.
Key skills and experience required
- Deep technical understanding of plastic production, consumption, circular economy and waste management systems, with experience of turning theory into practical on-theground action
- Strong technical expertise and capacity to support and influence governments to develop new strategies, action plans and policies, including: alternative systems to significantly reduce single-use plastics,
- Deposit Return Schemes (DRS), Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) and improvements in waste management
- Recognised experience in engaging national government and private sector decisionmakers
- Ability to research, comprehend and translate technical policy issues into a variety of written styles (e.g. briefings, consultations, reports)
- Dynamic and confident communications skills to engage senior government and business officials in our evidence and insights
View the full job description here.
For more information, or to apply for this position, please forward a copy of your CV by clicking on the 'Apply' button quoting the reference number AZ-1908-6780