IEMA is looking for a Head of Media to raise their profile through strategic media engagement
IEMA is the professional body for everyone working in environment and sustainability.
This is a growing and evolving profession and we are committed to supporting, encouraging and improving the confidence and performance as well as the profile and recognition of all environment and sustainability professionals. At IEMA, we take a holistic or ‘big picture’ view of sustainability.
For 20 years, we have been providing resources and tools, research and knowledge sharing along with high-quality formal training and qualifications to meet the real world needs of members from their first steps on the career ladder, right to the very top. By doing this we raise the bar for professionalism in sustainability. Our 16,000 members are a diverse group and work in everything from business and industry and environmental consultancies to local government and academia. What they have in common is a passion to make a real difference. A real impact. Together, as a community of environment and sustainability professionals, and as individuals in their workplaces.
The Head of Media will lead all engagement with the press, across nationals, trade, and online media. You must be proactive and strategic with demonstrable experience of modern communications, placing stories in the press and possess and build upon strong relationships with the media. This is a role that will have a genuine impact on the organisation’s profile and one where this person can drive real change. In addition, there are critical managerial tasks including the efficient and effective running of the Press Office, and direction of personnel working on the upgraded website. The Head of Media reports directly to the CEO and manages a Social Media Manager.
This role is a part time or full time opportunity.
- To provide strategic and editorial leadership in the media
- To act as a sounding board for all media relations activity
- To professionally run the press office, providing an efficient and effective service to internal and external stakeholders
- To act as the senior press spokesperson as required
- To maintain and build deep contacts with the media
- Manage the Social Media Manager
Key experience and skills required
- An impressive record of delivery in a complex public facing organisation where a proactive approach is media relations is taken
- Front line Communications (Press, PR and Publicity) and media experience, covering proactive strategic and tactical planning, crisis management and rapid rebuttal across all media
- Extensive knowledge of press and other media coverage of mainstream and new media
- Experience of influencing policy and directing strategic development issues in an environment of comparable complexity
- Demonstrable experience of having successfully led, motivated, and developed a team of professionals
The deadline for this position is the 30th October 2020, please apply with your CV and a covering letter.