Leader of a newly established Government Engagement function within a critical government body
A client of Ellwood Atfield is a public body that oversees a critical but until recent times, potentially overlooked part of the UK economy. The sector in which it operates has seen seismic changes owing to a several high impact events and now HM Government has recognised its role in providing strategic guidance and reformation. As a result, our client has appointed a New Strategic Director of Communications who is, part of this new strategy is hiring a Head of Public Affairs to join as a strategic driver to improved government engagement.
As the new Head of Public Affairs you will be responsible for:
- Developing and implementing a proactive, influential, and wide-ranging government relations strategy to increase the organisation’s contribution to and impact on the formulation of policy in areas relevant to the sector.
- With a clear focus on relationships in Whitehall, Westminster, you will work with the Director of Communications to; Enhance the reputation of the organisation as a respected part of the HM Government bodies ; Develop strategies so that ministers, parliamentarians, officials and advisors rely on you and your organisations insight on policy development.
- Extend the relationships across government departments to broaden its engagement on government policy development on matters that directly impact on the organisation’s interested parties.
- Although you will be expected to act on your own initiative wherever possible, you will also need to build on the capacity, especially amongst its senior members and officers, for talking on matters of often quite technical detail to different audiences. These may range from informal briefings to senior departmental officials to Select Committee appearances. The Head of Public Affairs will take the lead on the briefing and preparation required to present the organisation and its contribution to the highest standard in such circumstances.
- Provide insight to the organisation’s commercial stakeholders, ensuring they are informed of developments. You will establish forums in which the commercial parties can voice their own interests and insights.
To qualify as the Head of Public Affairs you must have experience of:
- Knowledge and experience of working in Public Affairs ideally (but not exclusively) in the financial services industry.
- Exceptional stakeholder management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including delivering presentations.
- Experience of identifying, developing, and communicating policy decisions
- Track record of delivering through others.
- Track record of solid decision making and judgement.
- Experience of delivery board reports to senior governance committees.
- Experience in a policy environment.
- Enquiring mindset and eye for detail
- Familiarity with working with Government
- Demonstrably successful track record in Public Affairs
- Have established networks in Westminster, Whitehall, and Holyrood.
- Track record of delivering quick and proactive responses to media
To apply for the post of Head of Public Affairs please submit your CV before the deadline of 1st July. For more information please contact Tom Ewen on email@example.com