Global law firm seeks Media Relations Manager
Our client is a leading global law firm, who are looking for a Media Relations Manager to join a team of three other media relations professionals who are each responsible for various practice groups within the business. The manager will have overall responsibility for the planning and execution of the media relations strategy for the global litigation and tax practices and although based in London, will be a point of contact for our international colleagues who require comms advice and direction in relation to these practice groups.
The role also includes responsibility for some elements of the firmwide PR such as our social mobility strategy, co-ordination and communication of partner and counsel promotions or working with the events team to organise the annual media party.
Role and responsibilities
This is an excellent opportunity for someone wanting to develop their PR experience working in-house in a fast-paced environment.
- The manager will work with key stakeholders to plan, execute, track and evaluate the media relations strategy and activities for the litigation and tax practices. This includes writing media releases and other newsworthy content for our website and journalists, writing media briefing sheets and organising interviews and media roundtables and reporting monthly and quarterly to the business on activity and outputs.
- The manager will need to be able to grasp a variety of different areas within litigation (intellectual property, employment, arbitration, litigation & investigations), the varying topics, priorities, messages and tone within the groups and also the relevant sector media.
- Have confidence to work with people at all levels and take responsibility for advising and deciding what ideas should be taken to the media and act as gatekeeper to ensure the partners' and journalists' time is not being wasted.
- Have a self-assured and mature outlook to develop relationships with target trade, broadcast and national media on their own to build up a strong network of contacts to introduce to partners.
- Drive tactical news as well as longer term thought leadership and market commentary campaigns and opportunities with spokespeople.
- Support the media relations team with ongoing requests. The team receives dozens of requests internally and externally every week and it's important that each team member takes their share of responsibility.
- Advise on and execute the external communications for our social mobility strategy.
- Liaise with wider marketing team and our social media executive on social media posts, ensuring that all activity meets our standards.
- Work closely with internal comms, digital and creative services teams to coordinate the profile of the practices and its successes internally and externally.
- Organise, attend and offer advice on media training for key spokespeople.
- Prepare awards submissions with the BD team and help to coordinate presence at awards ceremonies. In particular, supporting our diversity & inclusion strategy is important.
- Play an active part in our hospitality programme including being involved in our annual media summer party and various other proactive initiatives throughout the year.
Key skills and experience required
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple requests, prioritise and act quickly to meet tight deadlines.
- Confident, pro-active self-starter and an avid consumer of news to be able to proactively identify and sell-in commentary opportunities.
- Ability to work well under pressure and provide support and advice when we are managing potentially negative publicity.
- Ability to plan and implement global PR campaigns, as well as track and evaluate activity.
- Have the skills and presence to provide direct and clear advice to senior members of the business and be seen as a trusted adviser.
- Quick adopter of new processes and navigating systems including journalist database, AI platform for media coverage, social media amplification tool and Microsoft Office.
Please apply ASAP to be considered for this opportunity