Press and Communications Officer on either an interim or permanent contract.
My client is a membership body, who are looking to recruit a Press and Communications Officer on either an interim or permanent contract.
The role of Press and Communications Officer sits within the small press team, working in a busy and exciting press office and reporting into the Head of Press and Communications. You will contribute to and drive the organisation’s objective through sustained creative and integrated media strategies. You will proactively lead the conversation on business issues, commenting on key announcements and policy developments from Westminster and around the country, as well as monitoring economic trends and showcasing the great work of members across their business communities. Working across a wide range of communications functions from liaising with and pitching in stories to national and trade journalists right through to driving the organisation's digital offering, the role is incredibly varied with no two days the same.
- Lead on proactive press releases and draft reactive media comment relating to key government announcements, economic statistics and research
- Develop proactive media plans as part of the broader communications strategy and campaign work
- Promote policy positions and proactive outputs to media and key external stakeholders
- Organise broadcast opportunities and prepare briefs to support spokespeople
- Develop digital content for external and internal purposes, aligned to their presswork, including filming videos, creating engaging social media content and updating the website
- Keeping on top of the news agenda and maintaining relationships with media contacts, to monitor upcoming announcements and areas for comment
- Work with colleagues at all levels internally to support them in media efforts, provide toolkits around messaging, share best practice, and field case study requests
- Compile and proof-read internal and external communications
- Flexible to be on-call for media relations outside of normal hours
Key experience and skills required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate to a wide variety of audiences
- Able to build strong, existing relationships with media contacts
- Digital skills and a strong social media interest
- Ability to make sound judgments with an understanding of what makes a good news story
- Knowledge of, or ability to develop knowledge of, important business-related issues across a range of policy areas
- Strong organisational and planning skills, and demonstrable experience of multi-tasking and prioritising work to fit with tight deadlines
- Attention to detail, good proof-reading skills and ability to adapt writing styles for different channels
- Capability to be a self-starter but also a team-player that can work closely with colleagues in the public affairs, policy, marketing and commercial departments
- A hard-working attitude, and the ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and under pressure
Please apply using the link or email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.