Professional body seeks Press Officer
Our client is a high profile and respected professional body. They are looking for a proactive Press Officer to build relationships with the consumer press and broadcast. You will work on a broad range of interesting and intellectually challenging subject matter.
- Develop media handling plans and produce clear content, including lines to take, press releases, articles, Q&A and other PR documents for a number of policy areas.
- Develop creative communications plans to support proactive stories on campaigns
- Deal promptly with media enquiries, alerting colleagues and management where appropriate, formulating responses and logging them on a central database.
- Monitor and respond to breaking news, providing media handling advice to senior staff, leading on preparing reactive lines to take, writing briefing and scripts ahead of media interviews and preparing spokespeople before media appearances.
- Evaluate how stories are covered by the media, including social media, sharing coverage with policy teams as appropriate and revising communications plans if needed.
- Carry out administrative duties, including compiling the daily news summary (as part of a rota with a colleague) and making sure all press releases, lines to take, Q&A and briefing are shared on a central database.
- Take part in an out-of-hours press office rota at evenings and weekends (every four weeks, when the office is fully staffed).
Experience and skills required
- Experience within a news or PR role
- Demonstrable experience of building effective relationships with journalists, colleagues and stakeholders
- Strong writing skills with the ability to disseminate complex information
- Good eye for a story
- Have the gravitas to liaise with and influence senior stakeholders
If you would like to apply to be this professional body’s new Press Officer, please apply quoting the reference no. EH-1812-6293