A fantastic media opportunity with a leading membership organisation
A fantastic media opportunity with a leading professional membership body
The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) is a world leading professional membership organisation with more than 195,300 members and students worldwide. . The organisation trains, develops and supports its members and students globally so that they have the skills, knowledge and values to help build local and global economies that are sustainable, accountable and fair.
ICAEW has been at the heart of the of the accountancy profession since it was founded in 1880 to ensure trust in business. It continues to work in the public interest, sharing its knowledge and insights with governments, regulators and business leaders to ensure the profession is a force for positive economic change around the world.
ICAEW is looking for a Senior Media Relations Executive to join its busy Media Relations team. You’ll cover a wide range of high-profile issues including business confidence; taxation and public spending; social mobility; and audit and corporate governance reform. You’ll need to liaise closely with colleagues across the Institute on proactive work and campaigns; deal with national journalists; brief senior spokespeople, including the CEO; and handle breaking news stories.
A strong news sense, cool head under pressure, and collaborative approach are all key attributes for this role.
- Identify and generate proactive stories to promote ICAEW to business and consumer media, in line with ICAEW’s 10-year strategy.
- Draft news releases, comments, articles and briefings as required, working with research and policy teams to generate stories and lines
- Act as a first point for incoming enquiries, responding quickly to draft reactive lines and/or arranging interviews to maintain the Institute’s reputation
- Take the lead on specific portfolio areas to identify proactive news stories and promote key spokespeople
- Advise colleagues on media handling, using your expertise to identify opportunities and tactics
- Take an active role in contributing to horizon scanning, media monitoring and the on-call rota
- Manage delivery of relevant campaign content to the media as required
- Develop and maintain relationships with key accountancy and business journalists
- Build relationships across the Institute and work with other teams, including to ensure communications are joined up
- Experience in media relations or journalism
- Strong news sense, with an understanding of issues that are relevant to the media and a proven ability to generate proactive coverage
- Good writing skills, with the ability to draft news releases, comments, articles and briefings for different audiences
- Able to manage stakeholders and build effective relationships
- Skilled in responding to reactive and negative stories, including spotting when a story could pose a reputational risk