Lead on the development and communication of FSB’s trade and regulation policy work
As experts in business, the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) offer their members a wide range of vital business services including advice, financial expertise, support and a powerful voice heard in government.
This is a fantastic opportunity to lead on the development and communication of FSB’s trade and regulation policy work, using highly effective verbal and written communication skills and sharp analytical prowess. You will establish credibility and effectively influence a wide range of external and internal stakeholders, including Government, politicians, regulators, industry representatives, think tanks, FSB small business members and FSB colleagues.
- Carry out primary research in this policy area, seeking views of FSB members – through empirical survey work, focus groups and case study interviews – and producing high quality, comprehensive policy reports for publication
- Provide an authoritative voice to Government, regulators and stakeholders, including BEIS, DIT, DExEU, HMT and Better Regulation Executive and Health and Safety Executive on trade and regulation issues
- Develop practical policy solutions based on high quality analysis
- Promote FSB’s policy position through a variety of external channels, including participating in meetings and conferences, making presentations, drafting letters and briefings, and supporting media and social media opportunities
- Undertake other duties relevant to the department’s activities, for example occasional travel to FSB’s devolved and regional offices, and in accordance with the level of the post, as directed by the appropriate line manager.
Key skills and experience required
- Proven high quality policy experience gained from employment in a field related to the post’s policy portfolio, ideally within a Trade environment
- Excellent analytical skills – including the ability to get to the heart of an issue quickly, confidently understand technically complex information and data whilst often working at a fast pace. Strong numerical ability in relation to survey work and statistical analysis
- Thorough knowledge of Westminster political processes and systems
- Good knowledge of key political figures in the UK Government and Parliament
- Experience of working in a membership organisation (desirable).
For more information, or to apply for the Senior Policy Advisor position, please forward a copy of your CV by clicking on the 'Apply' button quoting the reference number AZ-1909-6901.