A fantastic public affairs opportunity for a leading veterans charity
Help for Heroes believe those who serve our country deserve support when they are wounded. Every day, men and women have to leave their career in the Armed Forces as a result of physical or psychological wounds; their lives changed forever. Help for Heroes help them, and those still serving, to recover and get on with their lives.
The Senior Public Affairs and Policy Manager will be working with another Senior Public Affairs & Policy Manager to develop the Charity’s political asks and campaign themes, driving their change agenda with key political stakeholders, from government and parliament through to the MoD and fellow military charities, and building powerful stakeholder relationships.
Though the core focus is on addressing issues affecting wounded, injured and sick Veterans, Serving Personnel and their families, this encompasses a broad remit – from defence, work & pensions, through to sport and disability issues.
Whilst this is a specialist public affairs role, you’ll be working closely with the communications, marketing, and brand teams to ensure policy is at the heart of significant campaigns and brand activity.
- Developing and implementing parliamentary outreach plans to influence political opinion and Government policy decisions.
- Raising awareness of the Charity’s work, objectives and impact amongst policy and decision makers.
- Building relationships and establish regular contact with key influencers across the political / academic and third sector
- Writing briefings which reflect our key messages and target relevant audiences
- issues affecting the sector and advise internal stakeholders when appropriate
- Managing the organisation’s public policy work and chairing the public policy unit.
- Working closely with a second Senior Public Affairs & Policy Manager and Directors and Heads of Department across the organisation to develop the public policy output
- Providing high-level public affairs and policy advice to the CEO and Leadership Team.
- Supporting communications projects for the charity and securing positive media exposure to benefit the charity and its strategic objectives.
- Responding to incoming press requests, highlighting relevant PR enquiries to specialist teams and drafting news statements
- Substantial experience of engaging with and influencing senior political and policy stakeholders.
- Policy Research and development experience
- A highly developed understanding of UK politics, policy debates and government structures.
- Confident in communicating across a wide range of audiences.
- Very strong written and verbal communications skills.