Community Interest Company, JCQ seeks influential Director General
JCQ is the representative body of the qualifications and assessment boards industry in the United Kingdom. The eight members of JCQ are the largest national awarding bodies offering qualifications in the UK. They are responsible for setting and awarding secondary education level qualifications, such as GCSEs, Standard Grades, A-levels, Highers and vocational qualifications including the newly developed T-Levels. The UK examinations board sector is amongst the most diverse in the world and a vital part of the education landscape. JCQ's mission is to reduce bureaucracy for schools and colleges by facilitating and delivering common administrative arrangements for examinations.
The Director General role is crucial to the success of JCQ and of its members. Ideally this person should have an interest in and demonstrate a knowledge of the education system. Through this role the Director General will exert an important influence on public and political confidence in the examinations and qualifications sector.
The primary responsibility of the Director General is to protect the long-term commercial interests of members. Other responsibilities include:
- Reporting to and advising the Board and Executive Committee, lead and manage the organisation across all business functions and governance, including budget and staff management.
- Represent members and their views to senior stakeholders including Ministers, Government officials, education institutions, teacher and school leader associations, regulators, and the media.
- Produce and manage the release of the annual national GCSE and A level results, including data analysis, messaging, briefing Government officials, regulators and delivering presentations to key stakeholders.
- Rapidly and systematically respond to requests from the media. Act as spokesperson where appropriate, or direct enquiries accordingly, leveraging member resources when required.
Key requirements of the candidate
The Director General will posses the necessary leadership qualities to manage a board of members and will have first class policy, public affairs, and communications skills. Through their leadership qualities they will be expected to establish their own credibility, through action and results, with the JCQ Board and external stakeholders. Required skills and experience include:
- An experienced professional who can demonstrate a successful track record of working with the media, Government bodies, and public policy influencers.
- An energetic and polished networker who can develop effective relationships with Government officials, and stakeholders either through already established personal contacts or by creating them where none exist.
- Strong interpersonal skills with high emotional intelligence and ability to manage and lead a small team of experts.
- Able to understand and deconstruct complex processes and documents to bring clarity to others.
If you would like to apply to this opportunity please quote the ref no: GE-1809-6160