AstraZeneca is looking for a new EU Government Affairs Director to drive EU policy change.
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led biopharmaceutical business whose innovative medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide. AstraZeneca push the boundaries
of science to deliver life-changing medicines and this purpose underpins everything they do and helps deliver benefits to patients and create value for shareholders. It also sets
the context for employees’, partners and other collaborators. AstraZeneca has a robust pipeline portfolio of therapies in various stages of clinical
development, primarily for the treatment of diseases in three therapy areas - Respiratory, Cardiovascular & Metabolic Diseases, and Oncology. Their values and behaviours determine how they drive success, guide decision making, define beliefs and foster a strong AstraZeneca culture. AstraZeneca needs great people who have the drive and determination to meet the unmet needs of patients around the world.
For further information about the company, please visit their website: https://www.astrazeneca.com/
AstraZeneca EU Government Affairs (GA) Director The EU Government Affairs (GA) Director will lead AZ’s engagement with the EU
institutions with a view to improving the European business environment, thereby contributing to delivery of the company’s business strategy.
Based in Brussels, the position will provide EU expertise and insight to facilitate engagement of AZ business units with the EU and promote a cross-functional approach to
achieving functional and business goals in the region. The role sits in the Europe Corporate Affairs team, part of the Global Corporate Affairs department.
- Drive EU policy change through effective engagement of Brussels institutions to shape the European environment, thereby contributing to delivery of AZ corporate strategy
- Build and manage AZ relationship with key EU/Brussels stakeholders with a view to strengthening corporate reputation among key opinion formers
- Provide strategic input and represent AZ in stakeholder interactions regarding Brexit
- Provide recommendations and counsel to EVP Europe, senior leaders and crossfunctional internal stakeholders regarding EU issues and Brussels stakeholder landscape
- Identify opportunities and develop policy to leverage EU agenda and stakeholder indirect support of AZ Marketing Companies and AZ brands and therapy areas
- Develop and drive the AZ strategy for interactions with EFPIA in line with business goals; maintain AZ EFPIA network and maintain alignment of participants to strategy
- Maintain a comprehensive and current understanding of the complex external environment in Europe, as well as AZ’s business priorities and products
- Develop compelling arguments and messaging documents regarding EU policy
- Contribute to European Government Affairs Network of GA Directors across the Marketing Companies
- 10 years’ experience of Government Affairs / Public Policy with demonstrable commercial impact
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and influencing abilities at highest level of government
- Deep understanding of EU issues / stakeholder environment
- Proactive ability to develop and implement strategies and drive positive outcomes
- Experience of pharmaceutical and / or healthcare industries
- Ability to lead without authority in a matrix environment
- Business acumen and credibility at senior commercial leader level
- Native-level written communication in English and presentation skills
- Preferred Background:
- Direct experience of EU policy and institutions
- Specific experience / interest in specialty care pharmaceuticals and life sciences
- Conversant in market access and health economics
- Experience of corporate communications and working with media
- Highly-developed cultural sensitivity & ability to work in virtual teams
- Globally mobile as part of career development path
- Fluency in multiple European languages
Key External and Internal Stakeholders:
Key external stakeholders: EU officials, policy makers, trade associations especially EFPIA, EU level patient and third-party groups, senior pharma company representatives to those associations and relevant stakeholders.
Key internal stakeholders: EVP Europe; Europe Regional senior managers and Country Presidents; in-market GA Directors; Global Corporate Affairs leadership; Regional colleagues in Legal, Payer, R&D and Communications.