UCLB to appoint a Director of Communications and Marketing
UCLB is looking to appoint a Director of Communications and Marketing to lead, support and be responsible for enhancing the profile and reputation of UCLB through the development and implementation of a high performing integrated communications and marketing strategy. The strategy will have the objective of ensuring that the company enhances its international leadership position in the area of university IP commercialisation, communicating activities, successes and impacts to a range of internal UCL and external audiences.
UCLB is part of UCL, one of the world’s leading universities. As a wholly owned subsidiary company they are responsible for making sure the exceptional ideas and innovations generated by researchers at UCL and its associated hospitals – University College London Hospitals, Moorfields Eye Hospital, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children and the Royal Free London Hospital – have real world impact, creating benefits for society and bringing revenue back to the university.
Main responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement a sector-leading communications and marketing strategy in line with the UCLB’s strategic plan to boost awareness of the organisation with key audiences both internally and externally.
- Positively engage stakeholders across the whole organisation, in the wider UCL community and with colleagues in sector organisations in order to foster important stakeholder relationships.
- Work closely with TTO colleagues and alike to jointly shift perception and narrative around UK universities and commercialisation.
- Lead on marketing and communications across UCLB, including audience engagement, event development management and public relations activity.
- Oversee a team which delivers day-to-day communications and marketing operations, including brand and reputation management, media and public relations, crisis communications, marketing and publishing.
Key skills and experience required:
- Leadership experience in communications and marketing, including developing and delivering fully integrated communications and marketing strategies in complex organisations.
- Experience leading and managing high-performing teams of people, with a diverse range of specialist marketing and communication skills, and of building cross-functional teams and fostering collaboration in organisations.
- Expert knowledge and practical experience of communications, brand and marketing, ideally from a blend of private and public sector organisations.
- Well-developed leadership, interpersonal and influencing skills and the ability to build and maintain effective working relationships across the organisation and at all levels; gravitas to present and network at a senior level.
- Outstanding communication skills, highly articulate and literate. Able to articulate complex scientific/academic research and data clearly and experience of presenting papers and reports at executive level.
Reports to: Director, Engineering & Physical Sciences
Direct reports: 3.6
How to apply: For more information, please apply via the ‘Apply for this Role’ button by 28.08.23