The British Academy is looking to reshape their communications team.
The British Academy is a voice that champions humanities and social sciences. As a national body they support the study of people, cultures and societies, past, present and future.
Their purpose is: to be an independent Fellowship of world-leading scholars and researchers; a Funding Body that supports new research (nationally and internationally); and a Forum for debate and engagement.
This is a pivotal role in the organisation as the British Academy is currently reviewing and re‐shaping all aspects of the organisation’s communications activity, with a particular focus on how they use digital channels to communicate with their diverse audience. This newly created Head of Digital position will be a central role in a communications transformation project placing digital at the heart of the organisation’s strategy.
You will own the entire digital department and develop and implement a new strategy, including formatting existing channels and introducing new ones. As part of the Communications Management Team, you will manage and develop a digitally forward-facing team of staff, as well as contributing to the Communications Strategy. This will also include working collaboratively with other managers across the disciplines, and developing a community of editors.
Main responsibilities include:
- Act as the Digital Communications Champion for the organisation, promoting a digital‐first approach
- Provide leadership of the Academy’s websites and other digital channels, with particular focus on UX and IA
- Develop a roadmap of digital priorities
- Manage the production of rich media, including the budget for the external commissioning of content
- Develop the Academy’s social media strategy, ensuring channels and content aligns with the brand
- Produce and commission research to ensure the effectiveness of our communications
- Provide editorial management of the Academy website
- Advocate for the user, ensuring excellent User Experience across all platforms
- Keep up to date with new developments in digital and feed opportunities into the Academy’s Digital Roadmap
- Develop a range of processes and systems to support the management of our digital channels
- Use analytics to regularly review the performance of the site
- Enhance the Academy’s SEO, through active management of content
- Project manage the development of new channels
- Develop a community of Content Editors, providing active training and support to ensure high standards
- Support colleagues to modernise their communications
Leadership and management
- Lead and manage a team of two assistants
- Deputise for the Director of Communications in her absence
- Play an active role in the Communications Directorate Management Team, contributing to cross‐team development
- Play an active role in the wider Team Leaders network, contributing to organisational efficiency and effectiveness
- Oversee a significant budget
Required skills and experience include:
- Demonstrable record of achievement in delivering significant results for an organisation from digital communications
- Demonstrable experience of leading digital transformation for an organisation
- Extensive experience of developing multi‐channelled digital communications strategies
- Experience of managing digital transformation projects, with associated budgets and staffing
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, ideally in a humanities or social sciences discipline
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to inspire and lead a team – experience in people management is beneficial
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to communicate effectively with people at all levels
- Ability to engage and motivate non‐specialists to create change
- Ability to gather and interpret research and insight to make user‐focused decisions
- Political judgement and the ability to make sound business decisions
- Ability to persuade and negotiate with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to manage completing demands and prioritise and delegate accordingly